Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Breakfast Pecan Coffeecake :)



There are few things I love more than meandering through a good Thrift Store. Just as I shop the outside isles of the grocery store each week and avoid the packaged foods, I have a pattern with Thrift Stores too. I will NEVER buy, shoes, hats, or underwear that has been previously owned, no matter how "gently" used. I'm not saying that I think everyone should feel this way....it's just my "thing". The isles I like to forage around in are the isles with old patterns and sewing notions, the fabric and old kitchen linens, embroidered handkerchiefs, cookbooks,  kitchen stuff (got my bread maker for 5 bucks and I use it constantly!) household items, furniture and of course, clothing. Today I am making a wonderful Coffeecake from a cookbook I found at a Thrift Store for 50 cents called "All-Butter, Fresh Cream, Sugar-Packed, No Holds Barred Baking Book". With a title like that you know it has to be good!


Breakfast Pecan Coffeecake
Topping:
1 1/3 cups (lightly packed) light brown sugar
1 tblsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
8 tblsp ( 1 stick ) softened unsalted butter

Cake:
2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 tblsp (1 1/2 sticks) softened unsalted butter
1 cup plus 2 tblsp granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups sour cream at room temp

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" springform pan with butter or vegetable oil.
2. For the topping, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans in a medium sized bowl and mix in the softened butter with a fork or pastry blender until it is incorporated. Set aside.
3. For the cake, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a small bowl. Set aside.
4. In a medium sized mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. Add the eggs one at a time and mix on low after each addition until blended, about 5 seconds.
6. Add in the dry mixture in 4 additions alternately with the sour cream. When everything has been blended, mix on low and blend until smooth, 5 seconds.
7. Spread 1/2 the batter in the prepared pan and distribute half the topping over it. Spoon the remaining batter on top, smooth it out evenly and distribute the remaining topping over the top.
8. Place a piece of foil or a cookie sheet on the bottom oven rack. Then place the cake on the center rack. Bake for 40 minutes until the cake top turns golden. Gently place a piece of aluminum foil over the top of the cake pan (do not mold it) and continue to bake the cake until a tester inserted in the center comes out dry, about 40 minutes more. Serve warm (because trust me on this.....you won't be able to wait for it to cool off! ) or at room temperature.

6 comments:

  1. yeah! when my sense of smell comes back and I can taste things again, I am making this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness this sounds good! I think I'll give it a try this weekend. sounds scrumdilly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I'm trying to get back on the healthy eating wagon again.
    I'm a thrift store shopper too. I agree with your rules and have another to add, no stuffed animals. I like to be able to wash and or wipe down all of my thrifted purchases with Clorox wipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my deliciousness!!! So tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. I'm so gonna have to make this! Cute blog...now I'm following. Come back on over to kiki-itssewkiki.blogspot and consider following. Always great to meet more sisters in Christ!!

    ReplyDelete