Thursday, May 17, 2012

Patchwork Taggie Baby Blankie Tutorial


I'll admit that I have an ever growing stash
of  girly flannel remnants.
I just keep buying them every time
I see them in the remnant bins.
I can't really explain why I love them so......

But today I'm actually going to use some of them!
See....I knew they'd come in handy someday :)

What you'll need:
1 - empty baby wipes packet
1 - 9 1/2" square of Minky
9 - 3 1/2" squares of flannel
Assorted ribbons cut into 4" pieces
 (the amount of ribbon will depend on the width you choose
and your own preference as to how many you want)
When choosing ribbons,
think about texture for your baby.
You don't want anything too stiff.



Sew together rows of 3 of your 3 1/2" squares,
using a 1/4" seam allowance.

Press the seams:
row 1 to the left,
row 2 to the right,
row 3 to the left.

Now you will sew your rows together.
Because your seams are pressed to opposite sides
you can "butt" them up against each other
to give you nice intersections.
I pin the intersections so they don't move.

Now you have a 9 1/2" square.

Position your ribbons where you like them.

Fold them over and pin in place.

Using a 1/4" seam, stitch the ribbons in place,
pulling the pins as you go.


Place the Minky square over the flannel patchwork
with right sides together.
The empty baby wipes package
will be placed on top of the Minky square.

Now flip your stack of fabric over so that the flannel patchwork
is now on top and the Minky
and baby wipes package are on the bottom.
Stitch again just inside the stitching
line from when you attached the ribbons.
This will insure that you catch all the ribbons again.
Sew all the way around leaving
a 3" opening on one side for turning.
Trim off the extra baby wipes package.

Turn right side out through your opening.
Slip stitch the opening closed.
Top stitch at 1/4" all the way around.

I like to attach those absolutely fabulous
rings to one corner so you can attach it to the stroller
or highchair to keep your sweet baby from dropping
her cute taggie blankie on the ground 517 times.
The empty baby wipes package inside makes that
magical noise that seems to keep babies happy :)
(When you wash this
I wouldn't use the dryer
because of the baby wipes packaging,
just air dry.)

There you have it!
Another easy peasy project!

26 comments:

  1. Awesome! And smart you... discovering the source of the lovely crinkly sound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this a lot, but I suspect my skill level will be challenged when I attempt to make this. I have to admit that I had absolutely NO clue why you put the EMPTY baby wipes container in the project until I read Kimberly's comment. Very nice indeed :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute and I know a new little princess that would love one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great gift idea! I can see these as a popular bazaar item! Thanks for the tut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. am i allowed to make these for our local hospice to sell x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made these using the "plastic" bag that holds cereals inside the boxes. great crinkle sounds and they have been tossed in the dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christina - Yes absolutely use the tutorial. Thanks so much for asking permission. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome! and just what I was looking for! thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful :) I wish I had known how to make them a couple of years back, when my daughter was a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where do you buy the little plastic rings you attached?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can buy a package of 20 or so for $4.99 at BabiesRus or at Target :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks so much for this! it was great practice for piecing squares together, and my baby loves it. I pinned this on Pinterest and over 200 people have repinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for the tutorial. my only suggestion for others is to cut open the wipes package and lay across entire square then sew. i made it like your instructions and don't like that it is only in the middle.
    -jana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this Idea,its fab xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is there a way I can print this out? I see you have copyscape, but why would you have directions for people to make and not be able to print them out. Please help

    Thanks, Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your suggestion Shelly :) I added Print Friendly this afternoon. You can now print any blog post with or without photos or save it as a PDF.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, a friend has been looking for one of these and we can't seem to find one... going to start today! I don't have a wipes package to make the noise, but I'll look around and see if I can't find something to replace it with. Even if not, it's still a cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just made two of these!

    http://faithnchls.blogspot.com/2013/05/thready-thursday.html

    Loved this tutorial - it was very helpful thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WICKED IDEA!! Very cute. have a grandbaby on the way. I really prefer gifts you cannot find in stores. Handmade gives the freedom to create using the nursery theme. Thanx so very much. The world would simply not turn without incredibly creative people.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was thinking of using packing bubble wrap? Anything else we could use so.it can put on the dryer? Any Ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  22. chip bags would work if you wash them and dry them really good

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea! Has anyone tried the bubble wrap? Does it hold up to washing? Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all the different colors in your blanket taggie! Love your tutorial, simple, clear, and easy to follow.! Thank you so much for sharing! I featured this in my blog: http://www.plushiepatterns.com/tag-blankie-for-plushies-patterns/

    ReplyDelete