Saturday, May 7, 2011

Easy Peasy Tissue Cover Tutorial






My hubby and I went to Target last night to pick up a few things and I grabbed some of the travel sized packs of Kleenex for this project.

My hubby says "Who are those for?"
Me -  "These are for the Moms at church on Sunday"
Him-  "I know we don't have much money, but can't we do better than that?"
I just laughed and said "Trust me".


These are so quick and easy to do. You can whip them up in no time.

1. Cut 4 rectangles 5 1/4" by 3 3/4".


2. Take 2 of the pieces and fold them in half lengthwise with wrong sides together and press.


3. Take remaining 2 rectangles and match them wrong sides together. Place the 2 pressed pieces on top with the folded edges toward the center.


4. Using a small stitch setting (I set my machine to 2), stitch around all 4 sides (1/4" seam allowance). I backstitch where the 2 folded edges meet. This is a stress point so it's good to have a bit of strength there.


5. Zig Zag around all 4 sides to keep the fabric from fraying and again, it adds a bit of strength.


6. Turn to the outside and gently push out the corners. You can press the tissue cover at this point if you want to. Insert a package of Kleenex and you're done!


And that's it! Easy Peasy!

20 comments:

  1. these look fantastic! Hmm but could i sew one ?!
    HUGS :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! This is just the type of project I was looking for to get my DD confident in sewing on the machine. She hand stitches everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making some of these....today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! How easy peasy is that? Thank you so much for the tute :) I always wondered how to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What did I do wrong??? Mine is all crinkly.
    Guess I need more practice. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these before but lost pattern. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I asked for BOXES of tissues and my husby brought home sm packages (lots of them) --- thx for sharing - I will put some together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I DID IT!!!! first sewing project!!!! thanks for such an easy one!!! yay!!! thank you thank you thank you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another project to add to my list. The mothers at my church will love these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. why not: cut 1x long rectangle with pinking sheers (no need to zig zag to prevent fraying). fold each of the short ends over (wrong sides together) & sew in place along short end (or not). fold short ends together (right sides together) so that they meet in the middle & sew along long ends, backstitching where the short sides meet for strength. flip inside out. tada! less sewing & less fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the Easy Peasy Tissue Cover. Marieke, from the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Marieke! I was born in the Netherlands! Thanks for stopping by! You might need to change the measurements a bit to fit the travel packs of tissues in Europe. I think they are a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, You can make this even faster with just one piece of fabric! Make it long enough to go all around and enough to fold back the openings. Sew up the sides and turn! Woo-Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for another project...... Just cut one out made in less than 10 minutes going to make lots more ......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for this tutorial! I just whipped quite a few out today. I linked up on my blog to yours http://janeami.blogspot.com/2011/06/anyone-need-kleenex.html. I hope you don't mind I used your pic (giving you full credit and linking your blog all over of course!). I also made a cute image you could take off there and pin to the tissue packs to give as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thx for this, I need a teeny tiny project to sooth the old soul:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Featured this lovely idea today in my 'Walk Around Blog Land.' http://estherscardcreations.blogspot.com/2011/08/walk-around-blog-land-9.html?showComment=1312459237792#c1832767651519879124

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good morning Karen :-)

    Thank you for the Easy Peasy Tissue Cover tutorial. I cut out 10 last night and have already sewn 4 this morning :-). It is 'sew' easy and totally FTS :-)! I am going to share them with my sisters and mother in love :-).

    See you next year :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi karen
    thanks so much iam a sewing newcomer this is something i love to try thanks soooooooooooooo much
    renate from florida

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great, simple & easy to follow. Thank you for this tutorial. This newbie sewing student appreciated it!

    Fabulous blog you have here. I am enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete