Friday, May 18, 2012

Spring 2012 Bloggers Quilt Festival

Today is opening day of Spring 2012 Bloggers Quilt Festival!
If you've never heard of it,
swing on over to Amy's Creative Side
and check out all the details
and drool over all the amazing quilts!!!
I've only been quilting for about a year now
and I'm loving every minute of it!
I've decided to enter my "Tia Helena's" quilt into the competition.


This quilt really began 41 years ago
when my grandparents
were visiting us from Germany.
My "Oma" was an avid stitcher,
both cross stitch and embroidery.
She taught me to stitch that summer.

Fast forward to 2011 when I was looking
through my craft supplies in the garage
and came across these 3 partially completed
Hummel embroideries.
These were the pieces I was working on
with my "Oma" that summer.
I was planning on stitching them to represent
my 3 cousins, Maika, Norma and Sonny.
A few years ago, my cousin Sonny was killed
in a car accident on the Autobahn at age 39.
He left behind his wife and 2 teenage children.
I felt immediately compelled to finish these
pieces and incorporate them into a quilt for my aunt.
(We affectionately call her Tia Helena)

So this is what I came up with.
I used colorful fabrics by Robert Kaufman
to really make the embroideries pop :)
And I really wanted it to be bright and happy!
I hand quilted it using Perle cotton size 8.
My mother just left to Germany on vacation
3 weeks ago and hand delivered it to her sister.

It makes my heart happy to know
that this handwork that was started
by her own mother and finished by her niece
is finally in it's rightful home with her :)
I think that's what I love most about any kind of handwork
is that the love and care that goes into every stitch
will be cherished long after we are gone :)
I have my 2 little granddaughters that were just
born last year and I'm hoping that one day
they will sit with me in the backyard
on a sunny afternoon
and discover a love for handwork
from their Nana....
just like I did :)

Maika

Norma

Sonny



26 comments:

  1. This is my favorite kind of quilt...pretty, meaningful and will make someone happy. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your HAPPY quilt! The embroidered centers are so sweet! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful quilt! The embroidered pieces are so sweet and I can see the love you sewed into this piece~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story is as lovely as the quilt! You've definitely helped to create an heirloom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, what a sweet story and great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is definitely bright and happy! love your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of the Mother Goose quilt that I'm restoring. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a special quilt..thanks for sharing it and the story!
    BTW...I married my high school sweetie and this year will be our 32! God is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is such a special gift and special story. It will be a family heirloom I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What charming embroideries, and the colors of the fabrics match them beautifully! And what a special quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the stitched panels, they are so beautiful. It's certainly a special quilt with a special story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the beautiful bright colours with the vintage embroideries. What a lovely heirloom quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your embroidery is lovely!

    Hope you visit my blog too,

    margaret gunn
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Aunt must be thrilled with such a beautiful gift Karen. I;m sure it will be treasured by many generations to come. I love the bright colours and the embroidered squares are so sweet.
    Hope your having a lovely week-end, hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet story and a beautiful quilt. I know she will cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely way to use those old blocks. Your Aunt is lucky to have you as a niece.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I congratulate you on your work. a quilt with memories

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet, colorful, meaningful quilt. I too love how quilting can bridge the generations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the HUmmell embroidery gorgeous little quilt
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful post and a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, tears to the eyes, such a special quilt with a great and meaningful history! Thank you for sharing. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what an absolutely marvelous quilt. so precious, so nicely made, so lovingly made!! it's just beautiful. what beautiful memories it invokes. helena will love it (must already love it if she has it) thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  23. How lovely! I'm so impressed by the hand stitching. So neat!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have created a beautiful, meaningful quilt, the very best kind of quilt.

    ReplyDelete