Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Surf's Up!

It's definitely summer time in Southern California! For me personally, I'd rather have fall, winter and spring and just skip summer. I've always said that cold weather is so much better because you can always bundle up, but when it's hot...you can be naked and still not escape the heat. I get pretty cranky when its hot! (ask my hubby, he'll tell you). Praise God for central air! In the summer bad things happen with my hair and make-up and to subject innocent bystanders to my white legs in shorts is just not right. I'm not even going to discuss swimwear! I really don't think I could survive somewhere super hot and humid. You'd see my face on the news because I'd become a serial killer for sure. But I know some little boys who would miss trips to the beach and pool days at Auntie's house. So I guess I'll focus on the positives of summertime with my grandchildren :)

I've been playing around with an apron pattern in my head for a while and today I had a chance to try it out. It's easy to do and I may just do a tutorial on this one as soon as I have a chance. With summer in mind I made this "Beach Babe" apron out of dark blue denim and a fun Hawaiian print. I chose the same Fuchsia color in the flowers for the accent color in the hemline and waist ties.  I used Wonder Under to make a leaf and flower applique that I cut from the Hawaiian print and ironed them on and then top stitched them down. The large pocket that runs the entire width of the apron is divided into 3 sections.

Who knows, maybe a cute summer apron can give me the attitude adjustment that I need. It could work....right?

14 comments:

  1. Super cute apron! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Thanks for sharing. We get to go to Cali in a week and a half. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute, summer-y and happy. Can't wait for the tutorial,

    ReplyDelete
  4. are you sure you aren't going to Hawaiian swap???
    Looks the apron is already done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. A purse/bag in this pattern would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! A tutorial would be so fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I have beach boys music running through my brain:
    Going to surf city:

    Two girls for ev-reeeeee boyyyyyyyyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I need one of these! We found your blog through a linky party and are your newest followers! We would love for you to follow us, too! We have an awesome giveaway going on right now. Come check us out!

    www.sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so cute! you did a great job! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow this is sooo pretty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! You always combine great fabrics. I wish I had that talent! If you want to do a tutorial for your ETSY shop let me know and I can help put it together for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this apron is amazing....i love the accent fabric

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great apron! I love the fabric you used, and especially the purple!

    ReplyDelete