Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Early Bird Apron :)

 I received my first pattern and labels from the Sweetwater Label Crew subscription I signed up for and I couldn't wait to get started on this apron. The fabric is from Cosmo Cricket's Early Bird collection and I just love love love it! I have this same design in scrapbook paper (there's a shocker...right?) This pattern, like the bucket pattern yesterday, makes assumptions that you know how to sew and you understand the terminology. It's not by any means difficult, but if you are new to sewing, you may get stuck. There is only one actual pattern piece. I made a photo copy from the pattern and cut that out so I could leave the pattern booklet in tact. The other cuts can all be made with a rotary cutter or scissors. I did make a few minor changes to the pattern. I made the waist ties longer because I like to tie my aprons in front. I also added a piece of the red fabric to the tops of the pockets because I liked the pop of color. I added more top stitching because I like the look of it. I also attached the waist ties in a different way than the pattern calls for. I'm not a fan of "tucking in" waistbands, which I have come across in many apron patterns. I think it looks sloppy. I also thought it was amusing that when it comes to attaching the pockets the pattern says to "place each pocket on the apron skirt positioned 1" from the bottom of the bib and top stitch close to the edge." The pattern doesn't say how far apart to place them. Only how far down. If you look at the diagram, one pocket is lined up with the bib edge, and the other pocket is in from the edge about 2". So I put the apron on and pinned the pockets where I felt they would be comfortable. Turns out they were 3" down from the bib and 2" in on each side. I really love the iron on fabric labels that came with the pattern. It's fun that each month you get a label with your name on it. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with my name labels yet, but I'm sure I'll think of something :) I chose "Life is Good" for this apron. I thought it matched well. One thing to note about these fabric labels is to go slow when you attach them because if you have to remove any stitching and re-do it, there will be holes left in the label from the needle.
 All in all, I love this apron and I'll be making more using this pattern. Gee...I wish I could get a job doing pattern reviews for Sweetwater before they release them each month. Now that would totally be fun!

13 comments:

  1. love the neckline. ties in the front, really? no thanks. Still loving that fabric

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that apron! wonderful pattern and those fabrics are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Love it, Love it! The fabrics and the pattern are both very cute and feminine! How come we each have the same number of hours in a day but you seem to get so much more done?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful apron and I can't wait to get my pattern and labels and create my own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice :-)! I love the way you share your creative insights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Love the fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE it! The fabrics are great! I think you could be a pattern reviewer for Sweetwater. You'd be awesome at it. I'd love to do that for a job so if you get an in let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So super cute! And thanks for the pattern review as well!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love me some CC Early Bird!!!! Beautiful apron!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why do I love aprons so much?!? I always forget to put them on until it's too late. Maybe I would just wear your all of the time : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen,

    Your apron turned out so pretty and I love the fabrics. I'm visiting for Fabric Tuesday. I'd love to have you come by for a visit.

    Pink Sparkles for your day,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete