Thursday, July 7, 2011

Oh My Gluten-Free Goodness!


I've mentioned before that my beautiful daughter-in-law has Celiac's disease. My 2 oldest grandsons eat a completely gluten free and dairy free diet. So I'm always on the look-out for fantastic recipes that allow me to spoil them a little bit. I mean, come on, isn't that what Nana's are supposed to do? Well I came across this recipe over at the Handmade Homemaker
( you really need to jump over there and check out her blog! ) and after reading the ingredients and then wiping the drool off my keyboard I realized that with just a couple of substitutions I could make this gluten free and dairy free. And believe me when I tell you that everyone in our home on the 4th of July was happily crunching away on these. I'm pretty sure I scored some Nana points with this one! Thanks for sharing it Krista!


Gluten Free / Dairy Free Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites

1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP peanut butter
1 1/2 TBSP Earth's Balance organic buttery spread
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 TBSP brown sugar
8 oz bag of Glutino Gluten Free pretzel twists
1 cup of Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet chocolate chips (the gold bag is dairy free, but check your ingredients just to be sure)

Directions:

Combine peanut butter, Earth's balance and the sugars until combined. Mixture should roll into balls easily, but if not, refrigerate for a few minutes. I used a 1/2 tsp to measure the filling and roll into balls. Sandwich between 2 pretzels. Freeze for 30 minutes. Melt chocolate according to instructions on the Ghirardelli bag and then dip the peanut butter pretzel goodness into the melted chocolate. Place on wax paper and freeze for another 30 minutes (if you can wait that long).  Actually it wouldn't be a bad idea to eat several of them in the kitchen BEFORE you serve them to your guests or you may never get the chance.....just sayin :)

3 comments:

  1. You MUST always check your food before you serve it!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those sound yummy! thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I am not a PB lover,however I bet they would be great with Almond butter instead :)

    ReplyDelete