Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Oye' Chico!

My wonderfully handsome hubby was born in Havana, Cuba. His family immigrated to the United States when he was 6.  Had they just waited a few more years......he would have developed the Cuban accent and I could have been married to Ricky Ricardo :) I joke with him all the time that he would get bigger tips as a plumber if he had an accent. Imagine Antonio Banderas coming to your door...."Hallo....do jou need sum help wis jour plumbing?" Now this is my opinion and you don't have to agree with me, but I have always found latin men to be the most gorgeous men on earth! Something about the dark eyes and thick curly hair :) My family came here from Europe. My father was Dutch and my mother German. We came to this country from Holland when I was 18 months old so I have no accent either. My parents had enough of an accent for the rest of us :) It used to annoy me when our children would tell people they were Cuban. Um....Hello? What about the Dutch and German? I guess Cuban is just more exotic :) So with that in mind I decided to share one of my hubby's favorite Cuban recipes with you. It is truly "fantastico"!

Picadillo

1 lb ground beef
1 tsp oregano
4 cloves garlic -minced
1 medium white onion -chopped fine
1 small green bell pepper - chopped
1/2 cup beef stock
8 oz can tomato sauce
3 - 4 small potatoes - peeled and diced
1 jar sliced pimento stuffed green olives
olive oil for sauteing
salt & pepper to taste

In a frying pan combine ground beef and oregano. Brown and drain fat. Remove beef and in the same  pan, heat olive oil and saute the onions, green pepper and garlic until soft.
Return the ground beef along with the beef stock and tomato sauce. Cover and cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes. Add the diced potato. Cover and cook another 30 minutes until the potatoes are done. Remove the cover and add the jar of olives (I use about 1/2 of the juice in the jar as well) and cook uncovered 15 minutes or until the liquid is mostly evaporated. Serve with cooked white rice and avocados.

8 comments:

  1. you crack me up!
    minus the olives, it's looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I make this for Sunday lunches I have to serve the olives seperately because OUR son and daughter...not the inlaws mind you....don't like olives....so much for being "Cubans" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I am totally going to try this recipe! On a side note I am glad that Jose does not have a Cuban accent as I would be cracking up all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcia! I never even thought about the sermons! That would be awesome with an accent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, sounds delicious and looks easy. I may have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh ~ this looks fabulous! I LOVE olives! :) And btw, your hubby is handsome even without the accent. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sherry! I think so too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I just found your blog and have been reading it nonstop since yesterday afternoon! I have to say, your blog has transported me to HEAVEN! I'm now a follower (waving wildly) by email!

    My best friend is Cuban. For years we have eaten Picadillo, in addition to a myriad of other wonderful food her grandmother made. When I was 20 I stayed with her grandparents for two weeks and gained 20 pounds! I ADORE Cuban food. Her dear sweet grandmother passed away at 96 years of age, just last year. Unfortunately I never got copies of her recipes (nobody has) and there is one in particular I adore. Can you point me to a good Cuban food website...not that I really need the weight....but......

    ReplyDelete