Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Make-Over for Mom :)


Who doesn't love a make-over? My favorite part is always the before and after shots!

One of my favorite thrift stores for finding great deals on clothing is Sav-More Thrift. I bought this linen blend skirt for $1.91. I loved the embroidered detail at the hemline. I didn't buy it to wear it but I knew I wanted to "up-cycle" it. (I have nothing against thrift store clothes and if I could find a way to squeeze my ample curves into this skirt and still be able to breathe, I would totally wear it!)  Just wasn't sure what to make. This morning I decided to use this free tutorial and make a cute little zippered bag for my Mom.  I've used the tutorial before and liked it alot. This time I tweeked it a bit. Because I used the zipper from the skirt, I needed to cut the dimensions from 8 1/2" wide to 7 1/2" wide or my zipper wouldn't be long enough. Also because I was using a linen/rayon fabric I used fusible fleece rather lightweight interfacing because I wanted to give it a bit more body. The tutorial is super easy to follow and totally FTS. It's a great project to do if you've never sewn in a zipper before.  I still have plenty of fabric left over for other projects.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that is too cute! Love the embroidered detail! That was some smart thinking there!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen....You've done it again! I am so in awe of you! We need to spend a day together and bounce ideas off each other. I thought I was crafty....till I met YOU!!!! This little zippered bag is just darling! Now that's one idea i never would have come up with! You are right....that mind of yours just isn't shutting down at night these days....but as Martha says, "It's a good thing!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! I could use one of those....hint hint

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute :-)! Thank you for sharing your insights for other fabric sources. Because of your insights I am going to recycle these cute sheets I have and they would be perfect for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! And what's not to love about red linen?! Plus, I love upcycling. I bought a skirt last summer and made it into two aprons. I used a left over piece and the zipper to make a little bag for my purse to keep all the restaurant crayons we collect when we go out to eat. I loved it. Sadly we left it behind at a restaurant about two months ago and I haven't made a new one yet. You've inspired me, that will be my project for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing and linking up on Finished It Up Friday!

    ReplyDelete