Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Charming New Home


Lately I've been seeing blog posts from ladies all over the net taking part in "sew alongs" from everything from dresses, to pillows, to full sized quilts! ( A totally insane  brave friend of mine is actually doing a denim jeans sew along!) I thought it might be fun to pick out a craft book and see how many people would be interested in going through it and doing the projects and then posting pics every week or so. Well yesterday I stumbled across the Craft Book Challenge and her idea is even better than mine! (shocking...I know ) All you have to do to participate is do a project once a month from a craft book you already own! There is a flicker group and a link-up so you can see everyone's projects! I love this! No pressure to get something done and mailed somewhere and then wait to see if that person is happy or not. Nothing to swap, just the joy of sewing things that maybe you've been putting off or maybe haven't had time to do. I posted a while back that I have a new obsession with craft books and this challenge is perfect for me! Today I made this cute fabric box from the book, Sew Pretty Homestyle to house my tiny collection of charm packs. (yes...I only have 3!) They look kinda lonely in there....maybe I should get a few more, just to fill in the box a bit? 

It's quick and easy and FTS :) I did however, change the pattern a bit. I used heavy weight iron on interfacing instead of fleece and I made this box to my own dimensions to fit my charm packs. I used the basic design in the book, but tweeked it.  I love charm packs and I think they are just too wonderful to hide away somewhere in a box, and if they are out where I can see them I'm more likely to be inspired to use them. My only problem is that now that I've done my one project for this month's challenge......what am I going to do until next month??????

8 comments:

  1. Love it!!! Want it!!!!! Teach me Obi Wan!!
    I got just the fabric too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!! did you just refer to me as "totally insane"? Just checkin'.....I am, you know? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who me? Maybe I know someone else who is totally insane....you don't know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest thing and I would like to read the tutorial too! Notice I said read - my latest sewing adventures haven't gone to smoothly. But who knows - if it's FTS then maybe I could make them for my scrapbook supplies! (and yes she is totally insane!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute box Karen. I am sure that you will think of something to sew before next month, if you haven't already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do another project that's what! I like your idea about a monthly challenge. If you need a more weekly challenge you could do the Ironcraft challenges. It looks like fun but a weekly craft challenge is way too much for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would totally be in if it weren't for school... I barely have time to eat! Lol! But that is a super cute box and i am in love with sewing books as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I could use some boxes like this!
    Glad to see you in the CBC! I'm interested in seeing what else you make! :)

    ReplyDelete