Saturday, May 21, 2011

My 2nd Friday Night Sew In :)





For Mother's Day my darling Hubby took me to the Orange Circle to do a little antique shopping. I'm more of a window shopper these days because our home is small  cozy and there just isn't any more room to bring home any new treasures. I did find 3 yds of this wonderful medium weight red calico fabric. I'm sure it's not antique, but for 12 dollars for 3 yds, it was so worth it. It washed up nice except for a few yellowed spots I can cut around. For this month's Friday Night Sew In I wanted to make myself a new summer bag and I fell in love with the Indygo Junction "Bella Bag" IJ792. The pattern includes 2 sizes and of course I say - Go BIG or go home! So I went with the big size. I had no idea it was this HUGE! I took a picture of it with a soda can so you can see how big it really is. It would be a great tote for a day of fabric shopping, but for my everyday life, I'm going to make the smaller version. This was my first time using magnetic closures and I bought a package at Joann's from a company called Everything Mary. Um.....hey Mary....I don't think it would be asking too much for a bit of instruction? I mean seriously....how bout just a drawing? Something?
Anyhoo.....The pattern is not hard to sew, but it is time consuming. There is alot of cutting. For each piece of the bag you need to cut the fabric, the interfacing, the batting and the lining. That's alot of cutting. Then you need to baste each piece of fabric with the interfacing and batting before you even begin to assemble the bag.

Overall I love it. It's roomy and fits easily over my shoulder. I'm going to add some more pockets to the smaller version and this one is going to get listed in my shop. I'm going to make one of those little zipper bags to match and a tissue cover to round things out :)

It took me a bit longer than normal to finish this because I was loosing my mind to make sure all my fabric intersections were perfectly lined up! And I did alot of top stitching that is not in the pattern. I added the vintage metal button to finish it off.








So what did you do last night????

27 comments:

  1. I made stuff too. Not cool bag, but fun, nonetheless.
    And you are right, huge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im a total bag junkie...I SO want one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just noticed you are selling this one? I'm gonna need a link to send Jason...my birthday is coming up on the 18th...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i sewed some last night too! just nothing that fantastic! beautiful bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is huge. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY!! I haven't fallen in LOVE with a bag in a long time... Until today! Its a big-un but I love it! And your button is the cherry on top. I just might have to make me one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is certainly a big bag, but very nice! Love the button! I cleaned up in my sewing room, no fun at all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW...love the bag... big bags are my choice EvErY time! Well done at FNSI. See you next month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful fabric...nice pattern. Not a big purse fan, but I would carry this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, your new tote bag is so pretty with the red and white, it really pops! I sewed up a couple of sprocket pillows last night!
    OMG, I bought some of those same magnetic closures too! REally! I haven't been brave enough to try and figure them out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah that's a tote bag or beach bag...lol But I love big bags as well. It reminds me of the McCall's pattern that I used to make my niece a tote for her birthday...it also had a lot of cutting but the end result was really nice. Love your colors as well. Following you from Tatertots and Jello. Have a great weekend. Fondly, Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful! You can't go wrong with red, can you? It's a great color and this is a great bag! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely EXCELLENT! You are so creative. I totally love the detail you put into your work. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great new bag! Love the calico fabric...and the price!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice bag!! What is the white outside fabric you used?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this bag!! Great fabric and it is huge. LOL I'm with Mary Jo...what fabric is on the outside?? Canvas??
    Stopping by from Quiltstory and already a follower.

    This is what I'm sharing this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2011/05/red-simplicity-cynthia-rowley-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so great. It looks so perfect and fun. I too did the Friday Night Sew in and posted to quiltstory too :) You can check mine out at http://jenniffier.blogspot.com/2011/05/friday-night-sew-in-accomplishment_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute bag - perfect for a multitasker!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great bag Karen! Love the color - red is my fave - and the bag is so unique and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that bag - simple and beautiful! I would love to have you come and share at my Fantastic Friday link party.
    http://ironvioletdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your bag looks beautiful,I love the details! I am new to sewing & my interest are handbags. I hope some day soon I will make a bag I am proud to show.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So darling! Great colors! Last night I sewed a bag myself!! Ha! Thanks for linking to Quilt Story :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cute! I really like the fabrics. Thanks for linking up with Finished It Up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's beautiful! You did such a good job. I made a big bag too, one of Amy Butler's big bags from her most recent book, and you're so right, it took so long to make. I don't ever want to do that again...but it's a great bag that was fun to make, just too time consuming. I'm sure you will love it, it would be great for the beach or a day trip to the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cute bag! Definitely love bigger bags, too, until you go looking for something...at the bottom of them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Karen, It's heidi from the Friday Night Sew-In. I loved this bag when I saw it the first time last May. But I wanted to tell you that I was with Bobbi (Crafty Vegas Mom) at a quilt storet his past weekend. We found some awesome red fabric and Bobbi said "This would be perfect for that bag.. remember that bag" And it was your bag - We both bought the fabric.. now we just need to add this bag to our "to do" lists.

    ReplyDelete