Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mother's Day Tote Bag


 My mom is a retired professional seamstress, so sewing something for her is kind of like inviting Martha Stewart over for diner :) I find myself double and triple checking my seam allowances and making sure everything lines up. My mom very seldom makes anything for herself. She is always too busy doing things for others. I wanted to make a colorful tote bag for her to carry her Bible and her study books to church. She fell in love with the floral fabric on a recent shopping trip and she loves red, so this combination really worked well together. The outside is cotton canvas and the lining is cotton polka dots. I used Simplicity 9658 View B. I've made this pattern before and it's definately FTS (fun to sew). It s a great medium sized bag and the only change I made was to add a pocket inside for her cell phone and maybe some pens. With my grand-daughter due any day now, it's a relief to know that I'm ready for Mother's Day now no matter what :)

11 comments:

  1. good job missy! your mama will be in bag heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. What a special gift for your mom. She'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the bag its so cute. thanks for the comment, can't wait to see your quilt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice bag! I see that the tradition of sewing and helping others has been passed down from mother to daughter!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  5. well geesh that is adorableness on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wait - doesn't your mom read your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope. She doesn't have a computer. Once is a while she reads the blog here on Sundays, but by then she'll have it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bet your mom loves it and can't wait to show it off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bright reds! Thanks for linking up to Finished It Up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love this!! I'm a machine quilter and have been sewing for over 30 years, but I have a seamstress daughter who feels the same way you do about showing me her work... I laugh because she is the adventurous one, because she will create garments without a pattern and isn't afraid to tackle any sewing project. I'll bet your mom just loved this,it is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete